Frank A. Leach, 1917
THE STAGE ROAD out from Sacramento cut across the tule basin a little north of where the railroad track lies now. It was passable during the summer months only. The first habitation met was a ranch about fifteen miles from the city located on the banks of Putah Creek, owned by a man named Davis. The home part of this ranch became the townsite of Davisville when the railroad was built through that locality and a station made there in 1869. Here the first change of horses was made. As there was no bridge over Putah Creek, the crossing was made by driving down into the bed of the stream and fording it. Coming out on the bank on the other or south side of the stream there was before you a stretch of level prairie all the way to the foothills of the Coast Range for a distance of ten or more miles, without a single fence or enclosure or tree, except for the roadhouse of a man named Silva, located about a mile north of the present site of the Town of Dixon and about five miles from Davis.
This prairie at that time was not considered worth fencing, but afterward, when the remarkable fertility of the soil was discovered, became about the most productive wheat growing section of the state. The owners of it were the wealthiest lot of farmers to be found in any one locality, and their land was unpurchasable.
The structure and design of the Putah and Cache website is copyright © 2001 University of California.
The material on this page is from Frank A. Leach, Recollections of a newspaperman; a record of life and events in California, 1917